Last night I decided that this week I was going to get on top of things... I would wake up early every day. Get my bags packed for the gym - to work out everyday this week - before heading in to the Children's Museum for work. The kids' lunches would be made early. Breakfast would be made by 7:30 - with kids dressed out the door by 8:15 to be the first ones at school... and I would be off to a super organized-on-top-of it day! Well, that was all working out fine today until...
I realized that as we were about to head out of the garage to walk to school wihtout their lunches. I ran back inside and got their lunches together. Shortly after, I hear an awful scream and Luke runs in and says Sissy fell out of the wagon. Sure enough, Caroline was laying flat on the garage floor and screaming. I immediately picked her up and she cried for 15 minutes. Then she began to softly whimper and become unresponsive. Conscious, but not responding to anything. She wouldn't walk, talk, look at me, nothing... She was getting worse by the minute. Like a zombie.
I ran Luke into school. Poor baby - I was sprinting and he was sprinting with me. Lina was in the car, unresponsive, waiting for me. I couldn't look at anyone b/c I would lose my cool. However, I did run into her classroom - the minute I saw her teacher I started to cry and just said Caroline is going to the hospital and won't be at school then rushed off...
By the time I got back to the car - which was less than 3 minutes - Lina was worse. So, I jetted to the ER. My dad met me there. It had been close to 1 hour that she was unresponsive. As we moved along the ER system, she was coming to. She began to talk and walk. It was looking good.
We were in a room very quickly. After an initial analysis, the doctor decided to do a CT scan. This was another challenge in itself. Caroline was wrapped in a straight jacket type mechanism. She was so upset and worked herself into hives and a drenching sweat. After nearly passing out with anger, she was calm enough for a successful scan (after the 3rd try). The CT scan showed a right skull fracture. She had suffered a pretty decent concussion. Poor poor baby.
Thankfully she was recovering well.
Soon she was charming the staff in her usual fashion with her headbands, sunglasses, purse and big smiley hi.
Before release, I was told no major activity for 1 week and definitely NO head bumping. Well, that is the biggest challenge of all since toddlers are notorious for bumping into things about every 10 minutes. So, I am a "helicopter" parent for the next week.
What a scare! I have only been that scared 3 other times in my life (childbirth and Luke's NICU experience.)
My littlest one is okay and she will hopefully be her normal little bumpy self in no time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment